Spring is here and I am here to let you in on a recipe I did as a guest post for Katie at Adulting Daily! We did a collaboration and thought it would be fun to pick an ingredient to incorporate into our cooking. Since spring is right around the corner, I thought we could get a little head start and spring into it with some almond buttered chicken spring rolls!
In a traditional spring roll, the typical sauce used is peanut sauce. I don’t really enjoy peanut sauce so I decided to incorporate the almond butter into the chicken. First off, the almond butter doesn’t give off a strong peanuty aroma. Second, it actually gave the chicken a milky creamy undertone. Almond butter with chicken might sound weird but I promise it came out quite delicious!
- A cucumber
- 2 carrot stalks
- 1 bell pepper
- Half a bundle of cilantro
- 4 stalks of mint
- Rice paper aka spring roll paper (you can find this in your local grocery store in the ethnic aisle)
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs soysauce
- 3 Tbs almond butter
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp lime
- 1 tsp chili garlic paste
- 1 bundle of vermicilli noodles
- 1 can of chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- Julienne the carrots, bell pepper, and cucumber
- To make the almond butter sauce for the chicken: mix 1 Tbs brown sugar, 1 Tbs soy sauce, 1 tsp lime, 1 tsp chili garlic paste, 3 Tbs almond butter
- Follow the instructions on your vermicilli noodle pack. The one I used told me to soak the noodles for 5-8 minutes in cool water. Set the noodles aside when done.
- I used a crock pot to heat my chicken in chicken broth to soften it up before shredding it. ALTERNATIVE: boil a pot with chicken broth and boil the chicken. Shred the chicken when soft
- If using crock pot to soften chicken, prepare the crockpot by putting it on high
Based off of heating in crock pot
- Salt and pepper the chicken breast to your liking. Warm up a skillet on high and put the chicken on for a quick sear
- Crock pot should be on high, transfer the chicken to the crockpot and add the can of chicken broth. Leave it covered for 30 minutes
- Leave the pan on the stove to use in few steps!
- After 30 minutes, check on the chicken. Keep covered for 10 more minutes if it is not soft enough to shred. Once the chicken is shredded, transfer the chicken back into the crock pot
- Add in the almond butter sauce to the crock put and mix around (there should be a bit of liquid left from the chicken broth)
- Once the almond butter sauce is mixed with chicken, turn the heat on the stove to high. Transfer the shredded chicken to the pan, add 1 tsp of cayenne pepper and let it fry for 5 minutes or until the chicken gets a little brown. Remove from heat once chicken is browned to your liking
Making your spring roll
- Wet the rice paper in warm water
- Align the carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers, vermicilli noodles, cilantro, mint, and shredded chicken on the wet rice paper
- Fold the rice paper inwards from the side firsts before before folding the whole thing away from your body
- For dipping sauce I mixed 2 Tbs of soy sauce, 1/2 tsp of chili garlic paste, and 1 tsp of the almond butter sauce that was mixed with the chicken broth
- Viola! Enjoy!
Thanks for reading and I hope you will try both of our recipes! Let us know what you think!
Yours truly, Linh